Looking for a place to camp that’s not too far away from home? Here’s a list of places in Wise County that provide a range of amenities for outdoorsy types.
VALLEY VIEW GROUP USE CAMPSITE
- Available by reservation on weekends for $150 and includes restrooms, parking spurs, fire rings, lantern posts and group pavilion. Parking is $4 per day.
- From Decatur: US 81/287 N 11 mi; FM 1655 right 8 mi; Roberts RD right 1.5 mi: CR 2690 left 2 mi; CR 2675 right 100 yds; CR 2777 left, to entrance on right.
WISE COUNTY PARK
- Located at 372 CR 1638 in Chico, Wise County Park offers tent sites, picnic tables, a playground, boat ramps, public restrooms and showers. The park also has 10 RV sites with water and electricity and 14 RV sites with water, sewer and electricity. Tent camping: $5 a night RV hookups: $20 a night Sewage dumps: $5 per use Small pavilions: $20 a day, $20 deposit Large pavilion: $50 a day, $50 deposit Boat storage: $50 a month
NORTH SIDE MARINA AND RESORT
- Seven full RV hookup sites are available for rental at the marina, as well as one- to four-bedroom cabins. The marina is located at the north end of Lake Bridgeport in the Three Fingers/Blockers Camp Cove. Visitors can also rent boats and boat slips.
- For more information, visit www.northsidemarina.net or call (940) 644-5475.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON GRASSLANDS
- Visitors to the grasslands can set up their tents anywhere, but there are a few established sites in the national grasslands. For more information on the LBJ Grasslands, visit www.fs.usda.gov/texas or call (940) 627-5475.
- Black Creek Lake A dozen walk-in camp units, 12 picnic areas, restrooms, boat ramp, fishing bridge. No drinking water. Day-use fee is $2.
- LBJ Multi-Use Trail The 75-mile trail can be used for horseback riding, mountain biking and hiking and has campsites along the way.
- Tadra Point Considered to be the best trail riding opportunity in the area, the campground fills up on weekends but adjacent meadows provide space for overflow. Parking is $4 per day.