Since the 1930s, Wise County has been home to a precious natural resource – but it’s somewhat of a secret.
About 10 miles north of Decatur, in the community of Audubon, Jesse Jones of Alvord made a surprising discovery April 1, 1964.
Near the Denton County line was one of the “feeder” branches of the Chisholm Trail that shuttled cattle from Texas to meat markets north.
Members of the 131st Field Artillery of the Second Battalion became known as the Lost Battalion after they were captured and taken to Japanese prison camps during World War II.
The commission is responsible for initiating and conducting programs suggested by county commissioners and the Texas Historical Commission.
The organization owns and operates the Wise County Heritage Museum at 1602 S. Trinity St. in Decatur.
Standing proud and tall in the center of the county is its most majestic structure of all: the 115-year-old Wise County Courthouse in Decatur.
The Veterans Service Office helps county veterans acquire benefits through the Veterans Administration.
The two hills that rise out of the prairie on the old Alvord/Decatur road and a sign from the state may be the only monuments 10 Republic of Texas soldiers ever have.